14 October, 2010

Task 2: Time management and process mapping

I've always enjoyed structuring the world around me. It is my way of solving the puzzle of life and creating order out of chaos. By applying structure to any problem/assignment, it's size and scope become easier to grasp.

Time management (creating a study plan does fall into this category) has never been (nor will it ever be) easy. See example: http://wulffmorgenthaler.com/strip.aspx?id=696e818d-68b1-4dfc-9365-c6b822fc518f

Nowadays day planners have been replaced with interactive tools (such as Outlook Calendar/Google Calendar and interactive tasklists), but time management has not become easier. With the help of new tools (and in a new interactive age) we are simply able to do more, but the amount of things that require our attention, is horrific.

While planning my activities, I must take into account all of the following:

  • My day job
  • My two companies
  • IMKE curriculum
  • Driving school
  • Family and friends

There are probably more variables to this equation (creating a study plan), but the above list is essential.

My day job is a "must be" element in this equation - 8 hours per day, 5 days a week. Luckily the organization supports self improvement, thus attending a few important lectures/exams occasionally is not a problem. That covers work and school (IMKE curriculum/master's studies). The two companies and related activities are currently on hold. Everything related to the driving school is scheduled either before or after work. If there's any time left, I usually spend it with my family/partner and friends.

An explanatory (XMind) mindmap portrays the situation more clearly (click to enlarge):


No comments:

Post a Comment